Cycle parking schemes
A ParkThatBike scheme enables employers of every type, both large and small, both private and public sector, to make proper provision for cyclists. We do this by offering employers free cycle parking of various types for them to install on their premises. It not only tackles the problem of bike theft, it also helps to create an environment where cycling is seen as an attractive and convenient travel option.
The applicants can choose from Sheffield stands, wall mounted rails,heart-shaped stands, PlantLocks and toast-racks. The cycle parking is free of charge, but the applicant arranges installation, on their own premises, in a location that we have checked and approved.
The scheme is local authority funded and is managed by ParkThatBike. We handle all the administration and stakeholder engagement, so a ParkThatBike scheme does not add to your workload. The tasks we take on include:
- Publicity and promotion. This involves issuing press releases and engaging local media. Producingposters and flyers, and issuing mailshots. Talking to local cycle forums, bicycle user groups, green commuter clubs and other groups.
- Administration. Organisations can apply on-line at www.ParkThatBike.info or can submit a hard copy application form. We handle all inquiries and answer applicant’s questions..
- Assessment. We check all applications and agree with the applicant a suitable location for installing the cycle parking. We ensure that the applicant has checked relevant land ownership issues and we issue appropriate advice if they are based in a listed building or a conservation area.
- Advice. We provide technical guidance as to how to fit and space the cycle parking correctly. For this we adhere to best practice advice issued by Cycling England. Naturally, if you have your own set of guidelines we would ensure that these were followed.
- Delivery. Once applications have been approved we supply the cycle parking and agree with the recipient a date for installation.
- Follow up. We check that the cycle parking has been fitted correctly and we obtain photographs of each installation. Once the applicant has installed the cycle parking in the agreed location the items formally become their property and they are responsible for future maintenance.
- Survey. After 12 months we carry out an e-mail survey of recipients to find out levels of usage and whether the cycle parking is encouraging more cycling and reducing cycle theft.
- Report. We keep the local authority informed as to how the scheme is progressing. Written reports are submitted quarterly, or as requested.
Studies have shown that ParkThatBike schemes lead to an increase in increase in cycling while cutting levels of cycle theft. We can set up and run a ParkThatBike scheme anywhere in the UK. If you are interested in this service please contact us for further information.